This illustration is in preparation for the creation of an illustrated book. His name is Captain Whalesworth.
I started by sketching with blue and graphite pencil. I redrew the illustration a couple of times with a light box until I felt it was ready. I photocopied this illustration a few times and worked the copy with markers. It took a couple of tries to get to this final piece because I wanted to get the colours just right but had to get used to the range the markers can achieve.
I recently learned that I’ve been working to fast with my markers, which gives it a rushed, streaky look. I also learned about how to layer markers correctly and some interesting methods for mixing colours. I learned to create a chart with all my coloured markers as an overview guide for mixing colours. I also applied a Gamut Mask to the palette, which is how I settled on the purple background colour. Basically, I’m learning how to approach things methodically and do things the right way!